Wednesday, September 10, 2008

yIKEs!!!!!

I was just commenting on a friends blog when I realized how long my comment was becoming and just decided to blog it and let you all know what is going on. As I have mentioned before there is a hurricane out in the gulf, IKE, which has been pretty fickle (Nikki's word) about where it is going. It seems that everyone keeps saying that it has turned closer towards Galveston, but the truth is that it was always headed here, however, the scientist/meterologist thought that is would turn towards Corpus Christi or even further south because of this warm or cold current going through the gulf...well it didn't go that way, and right now the projected path is somewhere between Corpus and Galveston, meaning that we get the crappy side of it! YEA! They keep saying it could "turn" even closer to Galveston, but if you look at the pictures, Galveston is straight ahead of it!
Anyway, the major issue is whether or not to evacuate. I am very fortunate that I didn't have the horrible experience that many people did when we all evacuated for Rita a few years ago. I went to my parents house in Wimberley, and it usually takes about 4 hours to get there, and when we evacuated it took 4 hours....for some people it took over 20 hours to get to Dallas, one of my friends went to Austin and it took them 18 hours. The things is that it costs quite a bit of money to evacuate, so that sucks. Plus noone really wants to leave, unless they absolutely has too. Which there lies the question, is it absolutely necessary for us to leave. I have a 1 1/2 year old that I have to be responsible for, if there is a chance that we might lose power, I have to really think about what that would mean for Logan. I guess we could get an ice chest for his milk but I dont know what to do about the heat.
Another major issue is that JR does not want to leave at all...he is dead set on staying, and I dont want to leave without him. I dont have a cell phone, so I dont want to travel without him, plus it will be much harder to make the trip with Logan and no help! So JR and I are arguing about that...we decided to talk (discuss) what we would do tonight when he got home from work...the conversation went something like this
Me: Well I really think that if it continues to come this way, we should leave tomorrow
JR: I have to work tomorrow
M: Then we will leave after you get off work
JR: I really dont want to leave
Me: Well I dont want to have Logan here in case we lose power, and I really dont want to travel without you.
JR: I think you and Logan should go and I will stay, if there is going to be damage I would rather be here to see the damage, rather than be somewhere else and worry about it
Me: Why dont we wait until tomorrow to see what this thing is going to do before we get into an arguement over nothing
JR and I had decided at the beginning of the season that we would leave if we had a hurricane that reached a level 3 or higher, anything below a 3 and we would stay. Hurricane Ike is forecasted to become a level 4 by the time it hits landfall. I dont really want to spend the money to leave, but at the same time I would rather be safe than sorry. So I am going to check the latest update at 1:00 before I had to work, and I should be home around 5 in the morning, just in time for the next update and then I will know a little more, and I guess JR and I will have another discussion tomorrow afternoon...I jsut dont want to make the decision to late and sit through mounds of traffic.
Man....I also had a hair appointment for tomorrow...I haven't gotten my hair trimmed in 3 months...I finally make an appointment and now I may have to reschedule...I swear if it isn't one thing...its another!

1 comment:

Nikki said...

LOL! Travis and I had that SAME EXACT conversation! What is it with guys?! I think they just want to be here to see a hurricane. ARG!